I was having a look at the Cycle Scottish Borders web site, to see what other routes I could tackle in the next 8 months, before darkness sets in again. They have routes that you can download in GPX format, and I wanted to save them as a Course in Garmin Connect. Unfortunately, the GPX files you can download wouldn’t upload, so I couldn’t do it.
This is the set of steps that I needed to go through to save such a file as a course.
- Grab the URL of the GPX file that you want
- Go to gpsies.com and stick that URL in the URL field
- Convert it to a GPS Track
- Upload this file to Garmin Connect as a new activity
- Go view that new activity, and click the “Save as Course” link
- Give your course a name, and Save it
- Go back to that activity and delete it, since you didn’t ride it ;)
Job done. Slightly painful, but not the end of the world.